Coconut Brown Rice
5 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1+1/2 cups brown jasmine or basmati rice (Lundberg Organic Brown)
- 2 cups good-quality coconut milk (preferably regular, not 'lite')
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 t salt
- 3T dry shredded coconut (baking type)
- 1T coconut oil
- Rub oil over bottom of regular-sized pot (needs a tight-fitting lid)
- Add rice, coconut milk, water, salt, shredded coconut. Stir and set over high heat. Bring to low boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to low (around #2 on your dial) and cover tightly with lid.
- Allow to cook 1 hour, or until coconut-water has been absorbed by rice.
- When all (or nearly all) coconut-water is gone, turn off heat, but leave covered on burner. Allow rice to sit another 5-10 mins, or until ready to eat. Rice stays warm for 1 hour or more
- Fluff rice with a fork, and serve. If desired top with toasted coconut
To Toast Coconut:
Place desired amount of dry shredded coconut in frying pan over med-high heat and stir ("dry fry") until light golden brown.