Raw Kale Salad in Creamy Garlic Dressing
- 1/3 cup raw cashew
- 1/4 cup water (plus additional water for soaking cashews)
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium tamari
- 1 heaping Tbsp fresh cilantro or dill
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch curly kale
- Any favorite raw vegetables, chopped (for the kale salad)
- Chopped baby carrots, sweet peas, peppers (red or yellow), tomatoes
- Cover raw cashews in water and let them soak while you chop the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Move the chopped leaves to a bowl and massage them for a couple of minutes until the kale takes on appearance of steamed kale.
- To make the dressing, blend cashews, water, lemon juice, tamari, cilantro, garlic in blender until creamy. (If you're making the dressing ahead of time, store in a sealed container in the refrigerator up until 5 days. It will thicken over time.) Toss the Kale with dressing until the leaves are coated and then add whatever vegetables you like.
- Alternative ideas:
- raw garlic is much stronger than cooked - can reduce to one clove if you prefer
- you can also adjust wtatever herbs or combination of herbs you'd like - just substitute your favorite herb for cilantro (some ideas - dill, parsley, oregano, thyme, basil)
- You can add avocado and it will become a creamy avocado dressing.