Submitted by Grandma Barb and Adapted from Grandma Smith’s Recipe. I have many memories of Hawaiian Haystacks when lots of people came for dinner. It was one of my favorite meals. Great for family parties where everyone brings the toppings! I created the coconut dressing instead of mushroom soup.
Healthy Hawaiian Haystacks
- Coconut Dressing
- 1 cup Raw Cashews
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-2 Lime Juice and Zest
- 1 small shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 piece Small Ginger
- 1-2 tsp Curry powder
- 1 small red chili pepper or chili powder
- 1-2 Tbsp. honey
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3-4 squirts of Lemon Grass Paste or make your own Lemon Grass Paste
- Salad Toppings: Use all or add other favorites
- Chicken chopped (use any chicken but try getting pastured/free range)
- Fresh mandarin oranges or can drained mandarin oranges
- Fresh pineapple or drained can pineapple tidbits
- Coconut shred or sliced fresh is great
- Slivered or chopped raw almonds
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped bell peppers
- chopped celery
- Shredded carrots
- Golden raisins
- Greens – romaine thinly sliced
- Any other greens: spinach thinly shredded kale, arugula
- Coconut Brown Rice
- Soak 1 cup cashews covered in water 2-4 hrs. Rinse and place in blender with all dressing ingredients.
- Add coconut milk to desired consistency, can add water if needed.
- Adjust amounts to individual taste preferences.
- Let everyone build their own Haystack!