- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes drained, 14.5 ounce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole chicken bones and skin removed, cut into pieces, 2 to 3 pound
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk 14 ounce
- 1 lemon juiced
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bay leaf, and saute until onion is lightly browned. Mix tomatoes, curry powder, and salt into the skillet, and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Mix in the chicken, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Reduce skillet heat to low. Stirring constantly, gradually blend in the coconut milk over a period of about 10 minutes. Mix in lemon juice just before serving.
"This is an African (Mozambique) curry that can be done with chicken, shrimp, or crab. Goes well with tomato chutney and onion hot sauce. For shrimp or crab, use 1 pound."