This recipe came from Wilma Fullmer.
Bread (Sponge method)
- Large Plastic Bowl
- 6 cups lukewarm ater
- 2 TB dry yeast
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or honey
- 1/2 c shortening or oil
- 2 TB salt
- 6 cupes wheat flour
- Mix until well blended (all above)
- Let raise until spongy (double in bulk)
- Mix down. Add 6-8 (or more)white flour until dough pulls away from side.
- Kneed or mix 5 to 10 min. Put in pans, let raise until double in bulk. Bake 15 min. 450 degrees then 350 degrees for 15 more min.
To get a soft crust, bake for 45 min at 350 degrees starting in a cold oven. My family enjoys the bread better with the soft crust. It really works.