Healthy Zucchini Soft "Taco" Shells
- 4 cups zucchini coarsely grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs can use gluten free
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Remove as much moisture as you can from the zucchini. Add zucchini to large bowl and mix in remainder of the taco shell ingredients (egg, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cumin)
- Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or oven proof baking mat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of mixture and press down on baking pan into a thin circle, about 5" wide. Repeaat for remainder of mixture.
- Bake shells for about 25 minutes, or until the shells look "crisp" and brown around the edges. We like to bake the shells a little longer for a more charred texture and flavor. Just be careful to not bake too long.
- After zucchini soft taco shells are cool, gently peel them off the parchment paper.
Don't bake them too long or they'll dry out and be difficult to peel off. To help from sticking, you can lightly spray the parchment paper with oil. But you'll end up with a less crispy shell.
Squeezing out as much excess water in the grated zucchini will make the taco shells a little more "firm". One method is to microwave the zucchini till moisture releases, then squeezing out the water. Or lightly sauteing the suzzchini for a few minutes, then squeezing out the water. Just be careful to not cook the zucchini too much or use too much oil, or else you'll get mush.