Tuna Salad Sandwich
Be creative in substituting ingredients for this salad: avocado, shredded carrots or cabbage, find food to use up from the fridge and pantry. Use chopped pickles instead of capers but at least try capers, they are so good when pan fried with onions. I used leftover Buckwheat Crepe batter I had for the wrap and sautéed spinach for the greens. I couldn’t get enough of it!
- 1 canned Tuna
- 2 T slivered almonds pan roasted 1-2 mins over med-low heat
- 2 T red onion finely chopped
- 2 T capers slightly rinsed and drained
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup celery thinly chopped
- ¼ cup beans white, black, or lentils
- ½ cup chopped mint or other favorite herb
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 t Lemon zest
- ½ lemon Juiced
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- After toasting almonds, set aside in a bowl. In the same pan, sauté onion and capers until lightly brown and crispy. (Careful not to burn)
- Add all ingredients except dressing, mint and almonds.
- Make dressing and add to tuna mixture.
- Before serving add mint and top with almonds.
- Serve as lettuce wrap on romaine or butter lettuce, or on thin brown rice cakes or crackers.